Monday, January 18, 2021

Week 2 - 2021

Week 2 - 2021




This week was pretty rough. 

Blake continued with remote learning this week. It did not go very well. Blake really struggled with listening and staying in class. He constantly was in my office. Tuesday was hands down the hardest day of remote learning so far. Jeremy was at a board meeting so I was home with Blake alone most of the day. I had a full day of meetings and Blake had an attitude. He would not do his assignments or stay in class most of the day. He did have Art class in the afternoon which gave me a good 45 minute break with no interruptions. It was amazing! :) I logged into a meeting during Art class and Blake asked me for a Sharpie. I was hesitant and asked if he really needed it and he said yes. Since I was running a meeting I really had no choice but to give it to him so I did. He completed his art project and I forgot to collect the marker after my meeting. Math was his last class of the day and again, I had a meeting so I couldn't answer one of his questions. I believe he was upset with me and he ended up going back to his room and drawing all over his white laptop with the sharpie marker. He traced almost every key on the laptop. After my meeting I asked him to come to the kitchen table and we worked on some of his assignment together. I went to his room to grab something and saw his laptop and almost had a heart attack. At this moment I had been fighting with him all day and had hardly gotten any work done. I didn't have a single meeting where he didn't interrupt and fight with me. I was drained and exhausted. It pretty much broke me. I could tell it had been sitting for a little while and I tried a few things that normally work for me to get sharpie out and it wasn't coming off at all. Jeremy was in a board meeting so I couldn't get any help or ideas from him. I goggled like crazy and tried every idea. One thing that worked some was using a dry erase marker and tracing over the sharpie. It did take some off but mostly made it look all smudged everywhere. At this point I stepped away from the situation and went back to working. I had tried everything I could and was going to drive myself crazy being so upset. Jeremy called after his board meeting and picked up a few things I wanted to try. Rubbing alcohol and water did help a little but still did not look good. Jeremy and I had a long conversation with Blake and ended up deciding to take away all electronics, with the exception of what he needed only for school, for the remainder of the week. Blake was very upset at first but understood the rules and why. 


The rest of the week was hard but better. Blake was bored most of the day so he was in my room a lot. It was interesting because we talked more than we ever have. He played with Chloe, played in the backyard, and did some arts and crafts. Friday was pretty good! Friday is a little lighter for him so usually he does well on Friday. He did his morning work with Grandma Krass through facetime and then had music and literacy in the afternoon. He was really attentive and did his assigned work during class. I'm glad we were able to end the week on a better note. Side note: Blake and I found some Norwex cleaner that really helped clean his laptop. Blake and I cleaned each key with a q-tip. 



On Friday at lunch time, Blake lost his 2nd tooth. I sat down to eat lunch and he came over and showed me his mouth which was bleeding. He had been wiggling his tooth which made it bleed. I pulled it out but it was barely hanging on. Blake was super excited! Friday night we watched a movie and had ice cream and popcorn. 



We took the kids to a park in anthem to ride bikes, play on the playground, and ride the train. We have not taught Blake to ride his bike with no training wheels so we decided to give it a try. He struggled with balance in the beginning but towards the end he was able to do it with no assistance. I was SO proud of him. He was so determined and he was able to do it. He didn't want to stop practicing but eventually we had to tell him it was time to go. The first time he rode all by himself the train was going by right next to him and this family was cheering him on. They saw us when he was first trying so it was fun that they were able to see his progress. Blake was so excited to hear them as well. 








I spent the afternoon/night watching football. During halftime we promised Blake we would go for a walk and he could practice riding his bike again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment